The hurricanes are a type of cyclone which consists of heavy rain and very strong winds , Although of the destruction which comes along with the hurricanes and tropical storms , there are benefits that come along with these storms .
What causes Hurricanes?
Hurricanes are intense low pressure areas that form over warm ocean waters in the summer and early fall. Their source of energy is water vpours which is evaporated from the ocean surface.
Water vapour is the “fuel” for the hurricanes and tropical storms because it releases the “latent heat of condensation” when it condenses to form clouds and rain, warming the surrounding air. (This heat energy was absorbed by the water vapor when it was evaporation from the warm ocean surface, cooling the ocean in the process.)
Usually, the heat released in this way in tropical thunderstorms is carried away by wind shear, which blows the top off the thunderstorms. But when there is little wind shear, this heat can build up, causing low pressure to form. The low pressure causes wind to begin to spiral inward toward the center of the low.
These winds help to evaporate even more water vapor from the ocean, spiraling inward toward the center, feeding more showers and thunderstorms, and warming the upper atmosphere still more. The showers and thunderstorms where all of this energy is released are usually organized into bands (sometimes called “rainbands” or “feeder bands”).
Benefits of Hurricane and Tropical Storms
- Sometimes Hurricane and strongwinds bring rainfall along with them which becomes beneficial to the area ffected by the drought.
- Strong winds shifts some soil to the barren land which makes the balance to maintan the whole land fertile. It improves the living condition of some areas.
- This disaster sometimes help the people to come together to show humanity.
- The hurricanescan break up bacteria and red tide that lurk in the water, As the tropical cyclones move across the ocean, the winds and the waves toss the water’s contents, The tropical cyclone rain is too much of a good thing for any drought area .
- One of the main purposes forhurricanes around the globe is the temperature balance between the poles and the equator, Tropical cyclones help transport heat from the equator towards the poles .
- The tropical cyclones cycle the nutrients from the seafloor of the ocean to the surface by stirring the ocean, boosting the ocean productivity and setting the stage for blooms of marine life .
Losses due to Hurricane and Tropical Storms
- Hurricane scause the destruction to the infrastructure , loss of lives , vegetation , and livestock , A lot of hurricanes causes floods , that can wash away homes and people , Strong winds can destroy large trees and buildings.
- Duringthe natural disasters , the social and economic aspects of the country will be negatively affected , It can lead to increased illnesses and social problems.
- The familieswill be separated , The jobs will be lost and the economy will take a hit , The countries will receive loans from various international institutions , This money should not only be used to repair damages caused by the disasters .
- People have to move from storm affected place to another which affect their life negatively.
- Hurricanes and storms distrupts the whole communication network and satellite system.
Places prone to Hurricane and Tropical Storms
- West Bengal
- Andhra Pradesh
- Maharashtra and Tamilnadu
Precautions to take in the cases of Hurricane and Tropical Storms
- Don’t be panic after knowing about the natural disaster.
- Move to a safe place before a Hurricane or a tropical storm arrives.For example –a basement, a very high mountain , a heavy table.
- Stay away from a ocean, sea ,buildings, trees , powerlines and pillars
- Store dry food in waterproof bags and stocks of fresh water.
- Keep the phone numbers of hospitals, relatives and friends handy .
- Keeping a radio, a torch, a few matchboxes and candles .